Tuesday, June 07, 2005

BEST OF AMG: DAY 3

Day 3 is upon and what is better than 3 french hens? Another post that is vaguely familiar to you until you realize halfway through that you already read it a couple months ago!

Today's Repost hits on a very pressing issue that few people pay attention to: the growing threat of overthrow by automated, artificial intelligence. It's not going to be an armageddeon-type battle a la The Terminator, but rather a subtle creeping take over. Where our reliance on technology slowly devolves our brains until we need the very machines that are destroying us in order to make ordinary everyday decisions.

With the foresight of a young George Orwell, the wit of a skinny Orson Welles, platitude of a recognizable Orson Bean, and the physical comedy of a funny Mr. Bean*, AMG weaves a tale of science fiction horror in a not-too-distant future (which, by now, is probably a not-too-distant past) that will make us all think twice before we depend on a machine to wake us up the next morning. I myself am going to drink 12 glasses of water just before bed tonight, and laugh smugly at that happy glowing digital numeric clock that sits by my bed and taunts me in my sleep. I will also wash my wetted sheets by hand tomorrow morning. That will show those mechanized bastards! I spite thee, technology!!!

I give you: A freakin' 12-gauge, what do you think?
sc.

*And you guys thought I knew what I was talking about. pshaw!

2 comments:

Geez said...

I've been out of the loop for awhile... has it really come to this? A blog clip show?

Unknown said...

Hmm . . . I say just go with it. By next week, or the week after, or whenever AMG gets back, she'll return with reports of her drunken rampage through Europe. Or maybe a post about lemurs. Or a post about how people got messed up in the 70s and 80s because of disco, not because of all the cocaine.

In the meantime, reruns are fine. (It's better than that reality crap they show on TV now instead of reruns.)