Monday, September 19, 2005

Are They Made from Real Girl Scouts?

I make a decent living. I'm not rich, but I usually have a little money left over after paying the bills that I can splurge on something for myself. I could, of course, put that money into savings, but that would be silly. And, of course, Walgreens would go out of business. So really I'm just supporting the economy.

However, I still can't bring myself to spend more than $25 on any one piece of clothing or shoes, or anything, really.* This is why Payless Shoes and Target are my two best friends. My senior prom dress was $160, and I look back now and can't believe that I spent that much - or that my mom even allowed me to - on what is, essentially, a couple dozen yards of fabric (although those yards of fabric were artfully arranged into a gorgeous princess-style dress). I am one of those people that goes into expensive stores, like Armani or Versace, and gasps over the prices. "$890? For a SCARF? What's it made of, cashmere from a lamb that was the firstborn albino son of the king and queen of sheep, who was raised on caviar and champagne, and was slaughtered at midnight during a full moon on his first birthday? Oh, wait, it is. Okay, maybe that's worth it."

I see people buying purses for upwards of $5,000, sunglass for a couple thousand duckets, and jeans for $700. I cannot for the life of me understand this behavior. Granted, I don't have that kind of money, but even if I did, I'm just not that into labels. Especially a $670 label that is sewn into a pair of $30 jeans. And I lose sunglasses so often and abuse my purses so much that I can't imagine spending hundreds of bucks on things that I need to replace a couple of times a year anyway. I'd get more use out of the money putting in a pile on the back of the toilet and using it to wipe my bum.

That being said, I suppose that if I were to become extremely rich to the point where I could make a large purchase just by using the interest my money was earning, then I could be convinced otherwise.

Feel free to send me money and help me test this theory.


*So I steal them instead.**
**Kidding, mum and pop.***
***Maybe.****
****No, really, I am kidding.

15 comments:

David Stehle said...

You are a rare breed of woman then because alot of women would think that's a steal at just $850! Kidding, but seriously, women do pay alot for some fashion things - like shoes, purses, ect.

Then again, guys blow the money in other areas. So I suppose in the end it evens out to us all being a bit insane.

Roberto Campana said...

will you marry me?

your the perfect woman, a woman who doesn't like to spend as much money as possible on something she doesnt need?

you should be cloned.

hehe. oh yeah, nice blog :)

e$ said...

I don't know, I will spend up to $150 on a good pair of jeans. Good jeans make my life worthwhile.

Miladysa said...

I am totally with you on this! What really annoys me is when someone loves a dress or pair of shoes or something else and because it does not cost a fortune they go off it! Crazy :)

Leese said...

I totally agree with you. I only allow myself to splurge on something every couple months...I'm strictly a bargain shopper. The most expensive thing I've bought recently was a $50 skirt. I refuse to pay more than $50 on ANYTHING besides jackets...and shoes.

Anonymous said...

I always cringe when I watch "What Not to Wear" on TLC. I love ths show, but at the end when they say the prices of the clothes...oh dear. I have to think, yeah, you get $10,000 or whatever and that buys like 3 outfits!!!

babyjewels said...

I have a hard time parting with my dollars, as well. Especially in large amounts. I've finally come to the realization that I'd rather have only a couple pairs of good jeans, than a dozen, etc. I'd like to simplify everything in my life, especially my possessions.

Aliecat said...

Love, love, LOVE Target! I also never spend more than $10 on sunglasses, as I lose them too often.

exile said...

wait a second,

cute,
smart,
witty,
funny,
and frugal...

i think i'm falling in love with you

scarlettongue said...

i agree, the 5000% markup on label items is a load of crap. There is some difference between fabrics, maybe, but unless those $700 shoes come with a cabana boy and a pedicure, i'll take the "cheap" version any day.

Target has been successful in proving your point. They have some supposed high-end designer creating collections for them, not manufacturing them by 8 year olds in sweatshops, and outfitting us all fashionably for a reasonable price. Thereby proving the point that rich people are suckers!

Beth said...

I'm with ya, girlfriend. There ain't no purse that's gonna last me long enough to get my 5K worth of use out of it.

mistipurple said...

returning your SHOUT!! :D
you're my kind of gal! (eh, i'm a gal too, and no, i'm not bi, hell no, i'm not a lesbian too.) i just like the way you handle money. i'm like that now. wish i learnt that 10 yrs ago. i would be richer now. (read...i'm broke, boo hoo.)

Anonymous said...

I seriously am about to spend 600 on a new office chair for my house. Am I on crack? God bless Herman Miller!

Beer Brat said...

rare breed..... but i love you already ....

Kiki said...

I had a shot called a dirty girlscout this weekend. Not competley relative except for your title.