Monday, October 24, 2005

It Would Have Been Cool if I Had Secretly Stuck My Name in There Somewhere. But I Didn't.

Last week I helped a co-worker-who-is-a-pretty-good-friend-in-that-we-have-fun-at-bars-during-business-trips-but-don't-hang-out-in-non-work-settings design his first tattoo. He was planning on getting his last name on his back (there's a cute, awww-inspiring story behind why, but it's really not that cute or awww-inspiring so I'm not taking time to write it out here, though the explanation of why I didn't write it is probably longer than the story itself, thus defeating the purpose of not writing it).

Aaaaand....focus.

So he had played around with several different fonts, and had narrowed it down to a couple he liked, but didn't love. And when it comes to tattoos, permanence rules, so you'd damn well better love what you get. He had a vague idea of what he did and didn't like about the designs, so I free-handed my idea of what it sounded like he wanted. Turns out, it was exactly what he had in mind. So I went home with the original font and Photoshopped (has that word become a generic enough part of our everyday vocabulary that it doesn't need to be capitalized anymore, like kleenex and band-aid?) it to match my drawing.

This weekend, he went and got the tattoo.

Using my design.

That's kind of a lot of pressure, having your design permanently inked on someone else's body. Like, what if he decides he hates it in a few years? Does this mean that when he dies, his back belongs to me? And does this mean I'm a published artist now? Can I add that to my resume?

15 comments:

ers said...

Can you design my next tattoo? I want it to look just like the one on Angelina Jolie's left shoulder blade, except, you know, not be it. And I want it to be just as meaningful to me as that Buddhist prayer is to her. And I want to be 5'7" and a size 2. Or even just 5'7".

Anonymous said...

What will you ever do for a sequel? The pressure is on.

Great new pic by the way!

Unknown said...

i would totally add it to my resume. i use that theory to justify saying that i'm a published writer when I'm secretly only referring to my blog.

bigfootcookie said...

I have a colleague who is a whiz on 'shopper, and designed my footer banner on my blog, but designing a tattoo is WAY cool.

Can you have the copyright symbol added at the bottom with AMG?

You could then ask him to stand stripped to the waist in the Tate Modern Art Gallery as an exhibit!

LoriLoo310 said...

When he someday becomes rich, you can ask for your design back. When he refuses to get the skin on his back surgically removed so you can have your original design, sue him and live your life as you please.

David Stehle said...

I'm half tempted to get another tattoo. I only have one now on my upper arm that is one of those tribal type bands. I'm sure one day I will regret it, but for now I kind of like it. I made sure not to do anything dumb like get a girlfriends name inked in my flesh to then later breakup with her - ugh. Maybe I won't get another, I don't want to get carried away and look like some freak.

Maybe you can post a pic of your inked art on his back? It would be cool to see what you drew up.

sue said...

C'mon! We want pictures!

yournamehere said...

Well, he may be someone you only hang with on work trips, but as far as several cultures are concerned, you guys are engaged. He wears your mark. Sorry.

Overboard said...

What's a tattoo?

MzAriez said...

Take a picture. Let us see!

still_figuring_out said...

yeah, take a picture! and i think :tattoo design" will sound pretty impressive in a resume ;)

Unknown said...

Thx for the comment on my Blog.

Why is the Midwest (I've been there) called the Midwest when its actaully more to the east? Then maybe you just live there :)

Lara said...

Sorry, no pics. Then you'll all know his last name, find him, and kill him to get information on me. I can't have that, now. :)

Chixulub said...

Shit, I freaked out helping my brother design the inlays for a guitar my uncle is building him.

It's permanent, like a tattoo, but you can put a guitar in its case. If you have no sense of heirlooms, you can even get rid of a guitar...

Darcey said...

Way cool, AMG!
I used to design & sell art to a local shop near my college (the cash became my beer money), and I have a handful of people that I've personally designed work for that are walking around today, including my own ink. These designs, of course, have not been sold, as they were drawn for each person with meaning behind it.

And yes, I would definitely claim yourself an artist - your work has been used & reproduced for the satisfaction and pleasure of someone else.