Thursday, December 22, 2005

Because what is the Internet for but to reveal strange things about yourself to people you don't know and have never met?

And in that vein of disclosure, I have decided to participate in a tag from Skye. I usually don't do these because they are generally long and boring and, let's face it, mildly retarded, but this one is short and interesting and has the IQ of Marilyn vos Savant.

Five weird habits of mine...hmmm. This is actually harder than I thought it would be. Since I am somewhat of a recluse, only coming out at night during full moons, it's hard to say what's weird and what's normal. Whose definition of weird are we using here, anyway? Because I think that Weird Al's and Bill O'Reilly's opinions would vary wildly on that subject. Weird Al, I think, wouldn't consider something weird unless it involved an accordion and a goat, while Bill O'Reilly considers thong underwear a strange and unnecessary invention. Bill, I can see your VPL!

1. When I run into people, I say "Ope!" (pronounced like "dope" without the "d"). That's a combination of "Oops!" and "Oh!" and really right there I'm just trying to justify it when I truly have no idea where it came from.

2. For some reason, whenever I'm laying in bed watching TV, I pull the covers up over my mouth with just my eyes peeking out. I do that if I'm sitting in a chair wrapped in a blanket, too. And a lot of times, if I'm resting my head in my hands, I'll cover up my mouth. This is all probably just my subconscious trying to tell me to shut the hell up for two minutes and sit in peace and quiet JUST ONCE.

3. This one is kind of hard to explain, but I play with the bumps in my hair all. the. time. Men, you can just tune out here unless you regularly wear your hair in a ponytail, but ladies, you know when you put your hair up in a ponytail, and there are pieces that kind of bump out and don't lay flat? Especially under the ponytail? Yeah. I mess with those constantly. I rarely wear my hair in a ponytail because of it. I'm sure it's some form of OCD.

4. I don't like my food touching on my plate. I've grown out of this one a bit, but I still don't like it if there are two unrelated foods on my plate, and the juice from one starts to run into the juice from the other. Just like in the movie "Toys." Isn't it great how everything in life relates back to a movie?

5. I say "exit" as "eggs-it," "bag" as "bay-g", and "measure" as "may-shure." This may be a midwest thing, but more likely it's just bad, bad pronunciation on my part.

6. I'll throw a bonus one in here, because those are kind of lame, and hey! Why not embarrass myself in a public forum? I read in the bathroom (which I don't think in and of itself is too weird), but once I'm done, I'll sit there and keep reading for another five minutes.

Oh! And to make a long post even longer and reduce the chance of anyone commenting that much more, about the new profile pic. That's an ornament I got when I was three and loved so much I carried it around constantly, petting it and snuggling it and loving it until most of the fur wore off. He used to be holding a bell at one point, but that fell off about the same time one of his eyes did. He's the first ornament I hang on my tree ever year. Now you can collectively gag on the sweetness of that statement.

16 comments:

Lara said...

And I forgot! I tag Scott C and JoeyJoJoJo and MWP and both Nates.

Aaaaaaand....go!

MJL said...

Fudge.

At least now I have something that will (hopefully) cure the writer's block that's been plaguing me for the last two weeks.

Daniel said...

Re: your number 6...

I've been known to be in the bathroom at work for so long that the automatic, motion-detect sensor shuts off the lights.

For a guy to be in the bathroom for that long, you probably can figure out that needing the lights on is very important, or things can be, um... messy.

I found out that this doesn't happen at all in the ladies restroom. Maybe that's because there are twice as many ladies at my company as there are men.

David Stehle said...

The history behind the ornament in your Blogger profile pic wasn't too sicking sweet to digest, but cute.

All that blog tagging needs to end though. I think I actually participated in this same one you did here and perhaps one other one, but that's it.

Oh yeah, it's it humbling to embarrass yourself on a public forum? I guess people who aren't "real" couldn't relate, but I get it. :)

Unknown said...

i call those bumps from my ponytail woody's. i don't know why. it just seems like the right thing to do.

Unknown said...

Well, at least you avoid saying "Oops, my bad" which is low. Hey! Have a Nice Holiday!

Me said...

.... wow. I say 'ooops' too. (only the real ooops... not opes. LOL).

Even if I am just 'close' to someone in a squished shopping asile, or accidently brush past them, or anything really, it just automatically comes out "ooops!" as if it's my fault or something? LOL. I hate that I do this.

Anonymous said...

I read in the bathroom too. It's the best place to hide from this kids.

Mr. Toast said...

For the record, I believe Weird Al would consider anything involving an accordian and a goat to be perfectly normal. I think even if you threw the thong underwear into the mix, he still wouldn't find it that strange.

Anonymous said...

your:
1.OMG! So do I!
2.Are you sure its not because of the alien abduction?
3.Guy but can relate (I know, my pic says otherwise) as my ponytail was looooong.
4.See my thoughts on #2
5.Midwest thayng. Its the cheese.
6.Only five minutes? You need better books!!!

Anonymous said...

here i am on the crapper using my pda to read this. funny thing is that i was with the crapper project about 5 mins ago!

Honey Bunny said...

i love it when my hubby's midwestern accent comes out. he tries to hide it, but he can't.

i hope it comes back full force once we move to minneapolis in a month. that's hot.

Pipi Longstockings said...

I cant do much about the peace on earth but Merry Trishmas & Happy Holidays

Spinning Girl said...

You sound completely normal to me!!!

Anonymous said...

My favorite Midwest accent trait is the "eege" sound. For example, baggage = "baggeege", cabbage = "cabbeege". Awesome!

MEP said...

The ornament is adorable. I used to have a teddy bear pin kind of like that and the fuzz came off of it too!