Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I Call It the "Tom Sawyer."

Have you ever tried getting someone to do something crappy for you by inserting a bunch of exclamation points into your request? Like maybe the pure enthusiasm with which you ask will cause them to overlook the extreme crappiness of the task and do it? "Oh, wow, I normally would never want to do that, but she's so excited about I can practically see the exclamation points coming out of her mouth! I must be wrong! This must be a fun thing to do! I can't believe she doesn't want to do it herself! I'd better jump on it before she changes her mind!"

Yeah, it didn't work for me either.

12 comments:

Brianne said...

What was the crappy task?

T. M. Hunter said...

You just need to convince them that it would benefit them more if they did it themselves...

Chixulub said...

Trying to make more recruits for your waxer?

Cupcake Blonde said...

I always have been fond of the art of making people think they are the ones with the enthusiasm and you are just recipricating...I haven't mastered that one yet.

Sexy Lexi said...

Exclamation marks don't fool me either, but I love using them!

Gadfly said...

Hey! You could wash and vacuum my car! Oh wow! That would be so sweet! I just KNOW you'd be great at it!


Yeah. Wouldn't work on me either.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried pointing a gun at the person? Thhat usually works better than an exclamation point.

hannah said...

The only thing worse than getting message with exclamation points, is getting one from a 55 year old associate, who in turn, signs the email with a Thank you!!! and a smiley face.

Ri-god-dang-diculous! :)

Anonymous said...

I usually try blinding them with science.
That usually works.

*

melissa said...

I find that the casual offering of alcohol as a reward is a great tool of persuasion.

*shrug*

People like their drinks.

Anonymous said...

I find myself using an obnoxious amount of smiley faces as well as the exclamation points. So I not only look like I'm trying to be supernice, I also look like a moron.

-From a former MidwestGirl

David Stehle said...

Visit my blog!!!

See, that extra exclamation marks don't work for me either.