Friday, June 16, 2006

Okay, Maybe "Several" Bottles of Wine Was an Overkill

As we approach the end of the week, things are looking up, though I've no doubt that they will begin to slide downhill again when I meet BDG (Bad Day Guy) in Canada. The wine? It helped.

Canada, oh Canada. I have never been there before, and this trip will hardly count, since it's for just a day and a half and I will be in business meetings most of that time. Specifically, I'll be visiting Montreal, which I have heard is the home of the largest strip club in the world. Unfortunately I will not have time to partake in the age-old tradition of stuffing bills in the g-string of a lady gyrating in front of me (do ladies gyrate?). However, I have been promised a visit to - and here I quote my hostess - a "retro 70's bar with fantastic martinis," the "cutest little pub," a "nice dive bar to play pool and foosball" and finally a "nice chi chi bar." First, I am not sure I trust the judgment of someone who uses the adjective "cute" to describe a pub, or uses the words "nice" and "dive" to describe the same bar. Second, I don't know what a chi chi bar is. Is that a Canadian thing? I know chi as in the Greek letter and chi as in the life energy, and I know chi chi as in Chi Chi Rodriguez and Chi Chi LaRue, but in a bar context, I have no idea. Regardless, it looks like I will be getting smashed in a corporate-sanctioned night. Which is awesome.

16 comments:

exile said...

canadians call strip clubs "peeler" clubs

that's about all that's interesting about canada

Anonymous said...

maybe she means it to be pronounced "she she"

Anonymous said...

chi chi usually means upmarket, chic, totally fashionable... at least in the peculiar circles I travel in


BDG sounds like a total pain, make sure you take lots of painkillers:)

Lynda said...

Sounds like it could be a blast! Hope you have fun.

Pickingnamesishard said...

Exile: we also call them the "Gentleman's Ballet", hoping that our significant others won't know what we're talking about.

If you don't mind a few tidbits from someone that's spent some time in Montreal:
* The University Ave / Ste. Catherine's St. area is fun; lots of bars and clubs
* If you're a beer drinker, Canadian beer is 5% (although there are some that are stronger)
* The "Ballet" dancers don't mind if you touch them (um, so I've heard)

Have a blast!

Chixulub said...

Drink Canada dry...

Come on, you're up to a challenge, right?

Anonymous said...

Canada is not a bad place to visit. Montreal is on my list of places to go. Anyone I have spoken to has had only great things to say about it. Enjoy having a new playground, even if it is for a short time - and you can always lose BDG in a crowd!

Anonymous said...

posted a comment about chi chi referring (to our hispanic friends in So Cal) to distincitive parts of a womans body much admired by many men, and how odd that street term migrated to the Great White North. Today I see the comment never made it to your blog. Did I offfend in some manner?
BTY nice new photo!!!

David Stehle said...

Chi Chi bar? Hmm. Never heard of that either. Find out what it is and report back to us. Or just drink, and drink, and drink some more...then the curiosity won't get the best of you. Enjoy!

JulieGong said...

Canada had a helping hand in countless underage drinking experiences throughout my college years. Never been to Montreal though but if they're like Celine Dion then I'm staying away.

And based on the bar descriptions I'd say I'd been drinking gallons to make it "a-ok*" to tell this guy he is an idiot for phrases like "retro 70's bar with fantastic martinis"

* I was drunk and didn't mean it. I can't believe I just did that. I'm an idiot now. Ignore me...

Ovett said...

You should take in a rugby game while your here. And make sure to have a smoked meat sandwhich and a poutine, the food here totally makes up for all the French guys :)

Ovett said...

you're. I can't believe i did that. now i have to go negotiate your comment screener a second time.

Chris said...

So, what was the final tally (bottles of wine and tubs of ice cream)? ;)

Anonymous said...

What happened on the much heralded "Day of Apocalpse"?
Have you not posted as you are currently incarcerated in a maximum security Canadian prison for depraved sickos?

Or are you just still too angry to post anything nice? We don't mind, post something mean- we love that stuff.

In the meantime, more Wine floats are called for. (I'm definitely gonna have to try that.)

*

Gadfly said...

OK, it's been like eight days since you pooooossteeeeed!

We're feeling like some very unlucky fucks out here.

You're not riding around in somebody's trunk with your head cut off or anything, right?

Melinda said...

we call those places "rippers" too - not as common though, since even we Canadians would have a hard time using the phrase
"cute ripper bar"

Have fun in Montreal - it's a great city!