Monday, May 09, 2005

What I Did This Weekend.

If you are my parents, read this:

It was a quiet weekend at home. I watched some TV, read a book, volunteered at a homeless shelter...stuff like that. I also went to church and helped an old lady across the street.

If you are not my parents, read this:

I got drunk. Penny pitchers, anyone?

I live about an hour from a true college town, and beer is so cheap there. Like seriously SO CHEAP. So every few months some friends and I will get a hotel room downtown (so no driving is involved at any point because we are all good citizens) and go to any one of the eighty-three bars that are within a three-block radius. By the way, when did they lower the drinking age to twelve?? I saw a kid this weekend at a bar...drinking...that I went to grade school with* (two years behind me) and I'm pretty sure he's still in sixth grade. At least, he was when I last saw him...eight years ago. Has it been that long since junior high? Holy brother of Buddah, am I that OLD?

Anyways, my rapid aging aside, it was graduation weekend. What does that mean? It means that bars were hosting graduation parties. Which means if you said "I'm with the party" when you walked in, you got free beer. All night. All charged back to the rich parents of some spoiled socialite. Yay free beer! I heart you!

Life is good.

*Not the monkey sex guy.

12 comments:

The G-man said...

Since when do pretty girls have to pay for their own drinks anyway? Is chivalry dead? Don't young men try to ply women with alcohol anymore? What is the world coming to?

Andrew Butters said...

I was at a wedding with an open bar this weekend and a $5 cab ride to my hotel. Suffice it to say I can understand where you're coming from.

Oh yeah, I tagged you.

Echrai said...

And to think my boyfriend talked his way OUT of having to interview and film college seniors at various bars Saturday night. I was all for getting drunk and doing the interviews. I tried insisting that it was JUST what I needed after finals and I'd handle the interviews if he just got me drunk enough. He didn't seem to buy it, though. *sigh* Glad you got the free beer!

Unknown said...

TOO funny and oh-so-true! I live in a true college town. Grew up 30 minutes away from it, so it is a way of life for me. I was very disoriented in NYC to discover that a drink was $15. To me, drinks should be $1 all night long. Or, more likely, FREE for the ladies, etc.

The only drawback is yes, I am much older than the average 17 or 18 year old around here. Very strange to feel old at 23.

CaptSmakk said...

Did you say 83 bars in 3 block radius? Please mapquest. On my way.

scott c said...

Weird. This weekend I went to a college town and drank my ass off. Surprised I didn't see you there. You were in College Town, USA, right? Me too.

weird.
sc.

GPV said...

Beer joints all over,cheap booze all night long;it's Sin City,you should be ashamed.OK just tell me where it is so I can avoid this
infernal place.

Roonie said...

Now that's what I call creative thinking! ;)

Lara said...

A state that doesn't allow happy hour? THAT IS A SIN. God, where are you on this one??

AMG

Bridget Unnel said...

What an idea!

I love the Internet. You can learn so much practical information. [wipes away a joyous tear at my latest lesson].

Anonymous said...

I fear that your love for the drink has altered your fragile mental state, and subsequently caused you to write a word in your blog that doesn't exist ("Anyways"). Hopefully this downward spiral of your intelligence quotient can be reversed, or at the very least, stayed for the time being, for the benefit of myself and those you come in contact with. It would be most distressing to witness a society such as ours fall victim to the rapid loss of grammatical knowledge that has plagued other nations for so long. Plus it makes you look bad.

Anonymous said...

Honey, don't listen to the heckler. Your father and I still love you, even if you use "Anyways." (Although, heckler does have a point. It's mostly Okies who use that word, and right about now your Aunt Ida in North Platte is wringing her hands over your use of that word, but, anyhow, just know that your father and I are very, very proud of you and your wonderful writing).