Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I'll Sell the Stack to the Top Bidder. Anyone?

So last night, like I do every year around this time, I started writing out my Christmas cards, addressing envelopes in green and red marker to my parents, grandparents, friends, coworkers, and bosses who I want to suck up to. The logical thing to do after that would be to mail them. However, generally, writing out the cards is where my Christmas spirit and ambition end. Once I have this lovely stack of addressed cards, they just sit there. It's just too much effort for me to actually get stamps and walk them out to the mailbox (although spending four hours writing them wasn't, obviously). I have stacks of unmailed Christmas cards dating back about four years. I can't mail them because I don't remember what I wrote, and what if it's not topical anymore?

On a slightly related side, as it also involves Christmas, don't you hate it when you sign up to play Secret Santa and you're an awesome Santa, giving sweet-ass gifts that everyone loves, and your Santa gives you shitty gifts?

10 comments:

hannah said...

The worst Secret Santa present I ever saw someone give another human being was a baggie full of chewed up candy and gum.

JoeyJoJoJo said...

I was hoping your After-vegas post would start out with "So, I won a million dollars and...." Hope you had fun. Last year I got a keychain from my secret santa. It was a miniature skateboard that had a clock in it, it's the thought that counts though, right? Who wouldn't want a tiny skateboard that can tell you the time?!

THE J Mo said...

Secret Santa can definitely be fun or very disappointing... hardly a middle ground. One thing that helps is if you set a dollar limit. Hopefully most Santas would get the general idea from the $$$ figure of the limit.

Chixulub said...

I have the luxury of being somewhat aloof from the greeting card industrial complex. This is because I make my living as a commercial artist and have access to an HP Indigo press. Instead of spending $3 at a store to prop up Hallmark, I make the cards I give. Which in a way is more extravant, since when I'm making a card, I'm doing something I'd charge someone else $20 to $60 per hour to do. So if I put an hour into creating a birthday card, it's a one of a kind.

That said, all my ambitions for Christmas Cards/newsletters in recent years have gone to procrastination, largely because I'm so burned out from working sixty to seventy hours a week this time of year, I just can't get the newsletter together.

I should send out a family St. Patrick's Day card or Fourth of July Card or something (again, more special because it would come when people aren't getting 30 or 40 cards related to the same holiday)...

Anonymous said...

How can I be anonymous too?
Todd R. Vodka
128 strathmore street
Durry, North Carolina
453 712-3210

JulieGong said...

I used to love Secret Santy until my friends (Hannah) in college ruined it for me. They would make flow charts and plot secret missions to figure out who had who. By the time we exchanged gifts it was not Secret Santy anymore. My friends are Christmas ruiners.

The worst gift I got was 1 earring, an NSYNC magizine and a small statue of a Buddha. No idea?!?

sue said...

I love to do the Christmas letter, but I hate addressing the cards. Maybe we need to trade?

Tim Bastron said...

Merry Christmas. I see you haven't visitied my blog in sometime. Come back and check it out at http://tcbastron.blogspot.com

I will look for you in the comments.

Bone said...

Hi, I'm new here.

I never know what to write in Christmas cards. Most of the ones I receive are just signed "Love, so-and-so" without much writing.

I think it would be cool if someone could write code to make the comments change to say like, "One partridge in a pear tree" if there's one comment, "Two turtle doves" if there's two, etc. Of course, anything over 12 might be a problem.

Anonymous said...

Really really glad we don't do Secret Santas here at work..........
:)